THE MARY STARK SCHOOL
The Mary Stark School
Day School Program
In the fall of 1850, Rev. and Mrs. Oliver Porter Stark were appointed by the mission board. Margaret Stark wasted no time in starting to teach the Indian children in the area how to read and write. The first "school" met in a side room of the manse.
Goodland school originated as a primary day school, and because children were often needed to help in the fields, average attendance for the first few years was about twenty. From the beginning, the Indian families in the area were interested in the school. Many families moved close by in order that their children might attend and in order that the old and young might worship there. The local church members opened their doors to orphan children in order for them to attend the school. The church and school grew together.